During pregnancy, piles/hemorrhoids are a common occurrence. This happens especially in the third trimester. 25% to 35% of women during pregnancy are most likely to develop hemorrhoids.
Why do pregnant women get piles?
Piles occur when the blood vessels in the lower rectum or anus are swollen.
During pregnancy, there are some major changes happening in a woman’s body that leads to the cause of piles. They are:
- Increase in the volume of blood circulation throughout the body
- Increase in the level of a hormone called progesterone, which relaxes the walls of blood vessels.
- As the baby grows, there is an increase in pressure on the veins below the uterus, causing them to be swollen and stretched.
These are the most common reasons, why a pregnant woman is more prone to hemorrhoids.
Apart from this, another pregnancy bugbear leading to piles is constipation.
A woman could also develop piles during the phase when she pushes the baby out. Doctors say that one in every five moms get hemorrhoids, the day after they give birth.
A woman is more likely to have piles during pregnancy if they’ve had it before.
Symptoms of Piles during Pregnancy
Soreness and pain during bowel movements are the most common symptoms. The other common symptoms of piles during pregnancy are:
- Blood after a bowel movement – This can be seen if you wipe with a tissue
- Painless bleeding from the bottom area (Please consult a doctor to make sure what this bleeding is about)
- Itching around the anus
- Discharge of mucous while passing stool
- Pain during bowel movement
- Your bowels feel full even after passing stool
- Especially after passing stool, you can fell a lump hanging out of your anus
If you notice one or more of these symptoms, we recommend you visit to talk to your doctor about it before deciding whether or not it is hemorrhoid.
Take Control of Your Diet
Having control of your diet also helps in boosting the healing process.
Make sure to have foods rich in fiber. Include these foods in your diet:
- Wholemeal bread
- Leafy vegetables
- Brown rice
In addition to this, drink plenty of water on a regular basis
Treatment for Piles during Pregnancy
Other than the medications suggested by your doctor, you can follow the below instructions to accelerate the healing process.
- A cold wet cloth can ease soreness in and around your anus
- Avoid sitting and standing for too long
- For relief and to ease pressure on your abdomen, sleep on your left side
- Do not strain while passing stool
- Wipe with a moist toilet paper than a dry one
- While washing, pat the anus instead of rubbing (rubbing may aggravate swelling)
- Use hemorrhoid pillow whenever you can, while sitting
- Go to the toilet when you feel the urge without waiting for longer
- Do regular exercises like short walks
All of this information will help to make your healing process faster when it comes to piles during pregnancy. Nevertheless, we strictly advise you to talk to your doctor before doing anything on your own.
Treatment for Piles in Pregnancy at Laser Piles Clinic
With the most advanced technologies and highly qualified experts, Laser Piles Clinic Hyderabad/Secunderabad is always there to help you out.
Visit any of our branches in the twin cities to meet and talk to a highly qualified doctor to avail minimally invasive treatment and expert advice.
Book an appointment online, call us on 910 850 3674
Get well soon and we wish you a safe and happy delivery.