Table of Contents
The colon is the largest part of the human digestive system. It receives partially digested food from your small intestine and stores it until it is ready for elimination. Colon cancer is a malignant tumour that occurs in the mucus membrane of the large intestine. Apples can help prevent colon cancer.
Colon cancer is the world’s third most common cancer (excluding skin cancers). Around 1,500 people are diagnosed with colon cancer every day. Although it can be fatal, if it’s caught early enough and treated properly, it can be successfully removed.
Treatment for colon cancer may include surgery, chemotherapy and radiation. Surgery can remove the tumour, but there might still be cancer cells remaining in the body. Chemotherapy uses drugs to kill cancer cells or to stop them from growing. Radiation treatment uses high-energy x-rays to kill cancer cells or keep them from growing.
While many people falsely believe that colon cancer is a disease that only affects the elderly, it is also the second most common form of cancer for young and middle-aged adults. The good news is that certain foods can help to prevent this painful and often deadly disease.
Tighten Up Your Diet
There are many foods that can help in the fight against colon cancer. Some of these are not just good for you but also taste good. Other foods have no taste and therefore should not be eaten because they do not contain any nutrients. The foods that fight colon cancer are primarily fruits, vegetables and grains. These foods contain high amounts of fibre and water, which are essential for keeping your digestive system functioning properly. They also have other beneficial effects on your body’s systems. For example, they reduce your risk of heart disease by lowering cholesterol levels and preventing blood clots. In addition, they work to reduce inflammation throughout your body and help you stay at a healthy weight by controlling your caloric intake and metabolism.
- Whole grains are high in fibre and low in fat, which helps with digestion and can help prevent colon cancer. In fact, research has found that people who eat a lot of whole grains may be less likely to develop colon cancer. Toxins can build up in your body if you aren’t getting enough fibre, and toxins can cause cancer. Whole grains are helpful because they promote healthy digestion and help remove toxins from your body.
- Cruciferous vegetables: These vegetables are known for their anti-cancer properties such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and Brussels sprouts. Also called Brassica oleracea, these vegetables contain both glucosinolates and indoles that have been proven to decrease the risk of colon cancer in men and women.
- Fish is a great source of healthy fats. Omega-3 fatty acids, in particular, are great for the body. This includes salmon, as well as tuna and mackerel. Eating fish help fight colon cancer, improve heart health and also help lower the risk of many other diseases.
- Almonds: Almonds are a great source of monounsaturated fats that help reduce bad cholesterol levels in your body. They also provide fibre, protein, vitamin E and magnesium which help remove toxic waste from your liver thus reducing your risk of colon cancer.
- Flaxseed: Consuming flaxseed may help prevent colon cancer by blocking the action of certain enzymes that can cause mutations. Flaxseed also contains a compound called lignin, which has been shown to prevent the formation of tumours in rats with precancerous lesions.
- Garlic: Garlic contains allicin, which is an anti-inflammatory agent that has been shown to inhibit tumour growth and slow down tumour. It is also known to prevent colon cancer caused by certain chemical carcinogens.
- Mushrooms: White button mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms and others contain an antioxidant called ergothioneine, which helps prevent tumours.
All in all, there are a number of effective foods and nutrients that can be used to fight colon cancer. Hopefully, this information will help you to make smarter decisions when it comes to choosing your diet. While it’s important to eat healthy and live an active lifestyle in order to prevent colon cancer, it’s not the only way. Colon health is still essential at preventing colon cancer, and part of colon health is getting screened regularly. Colonoscopy screenings allow physicians access to the lining of the colon to screen for and prevent colorectal cancer.
We at, Vitality’s Laser Piles Clinic, a leading chain of specialty clinics in Hyderabad, have a dedicated team of specialists who can help you with colon-related medical conditions. To know more drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 910 850 3674.