What causes a hiatal hernia?
A hiatal hernia is caused when the upper part of an individual’s stomach swells through the large muscle, leading to the separation of the abdomen and diaphragm.
In the diaphragm is a small aperture, which is the hiatus. It is through this that the human’s food tube or oesophagus travels before ending in the stomach. The stomach pushes up through the aperture into the diaphragm during a hiatal hernia.
When it occurs, it causes pain in the chest that could pass on to the arms, neck, and back.
Apart from chest pain, there could be shortness of breath, nausea, and severe sweating. It could cause the following also.
- Palpitations in the heart
- Pain in the arms and shoulder
- Pain in the upper abdomen
How is it diagnosed?
When upper endoscopy is carried out of the upper abdomen, a hiatal hernia can be discovered. In this procedure, the doctor introduces a thin, flexible tube armed with a light and camera through one’s throat to observe the inside of a person’s oesophagus and stomach to see if there is any inflammation.
It can also be detected by conducting an X-ray of the upper digestive system. Prior to it, a patient is administered a chalky liquid that layers and fills the inside layer of the digestive tract so that a doctor can see very clearly an outline of the oesophagus and stomach.
It is also detected through oesophageal manometry. When an individual swallows, his/her rhythmic muscle contractions are observed in the oesophagus.
How is it treated?
When people do not suffer from any of the symptoms stated above, they most likely don’t need treatment. It is only that when these symptoms manifest, they should take recourse in treatment. Hiatal hernia can be treated at home by following some of the procedures.
Home remedies for hiatal hernia
By controlling one’s diet and following a strict regimen, a hiatal hernia can be treated at home.
- Patients should avoid eating large meals but have several smaller meals during the day.
- They should not have any foods that cause indigestion.
- They should strictly avoid fatty foods or foods that are fried, besides onions, garlic, caffeine, alcohol, etc.
- They should follow a proper schedule to have meals and stick to it.
- They should not sleep or lie down immediately after meals.
- They should increase the height of their bed by 6 inches.
- They should drink warm water to soothe their stomach.
- They should perform simple exercises.
- It is suggested that they should self-massage their abdomens so that they can freely pass bowels.
- They should have apple cider vinegar, if possible, to reduce the effects of acidity and indigestion.
- If possible, they should add ½ tbsp cinnamon powder or 1 tbsp to warm water before drinking it in order to decrease acidity at least two to three times a day.
- The foods they can consume include green vegetables, non-citrus fruits and their juices, coconut, olive oil, avocado, beans, peas, nuts, seeds, coriander, cardamom, ginger and green teas.
If all of the rules mentioned above are followed, they work as natural remedies for hiatal hernia’s treatment.
In case you or your loved ones are displaying any signs or symptoms of hiatal hernia, do not hesitate to consult Vitality’s Laser Piles clinic in Hyderabad immediately to schedule an appointment.