Table of Contents
- Purpose of Colonoscopy
- Preparations for Colonoscopy
- Is the Procedure Painful?
- When can you Resume Work after the Colonoscopy?
- Cost of Colonoscopy in India
As the name suggests, Colonoscopy is a test done to check for any concerns with the functioning of your colon (large intestine) or rectum. By medical definition, Colonoscopy is the endoscopic examination of the large bowel and the distal part of the small bowel with a CCD camera or a fibre optic camera on a flexible tube passed through the anus. It can provide a visual diagnosis (e.g., ulceration, polyps) and grants the opportunity to biopsy or remove suspected colorectal cancer lesions.
Purpose of Colonoscopy
Gastrointestinal bleeding, unexplained changes in bowel habits, and suspicion of malignancy (colon cancer) are some of the conditions that call for colonoscopies. They are frequently used to get a confirmation of inflammatory bowel disease.
In patients above 45 (sometimes even younger ones), an unexplained drop in the percentage by volume of red cells in your blood or the haematocrit also make the doctors call for a colonoscopy.
Preparations for Colonoscopy
It is broadly divided into three segments, as shared below. We have also given a snapshot of how to prepare yourself before the screening.
Seven Days Prior:
- Continue with your doctor prescribed medication.
- Let your doctor performing the Colonoscopy know about your regular medications.
- Avoid taking any iron supplements.
Three Days Prior:
With 3 days to go for your Colonoscopy, you should strictly stop consuming nuts, any fruits containing small seeds, besides tomatoes, corn, popcorn, and celery.
The Day Prior:
Just before the day of your screening, please consider doing the following:
- Keep yourself hydrated. Have a minimum of 8 glasses of water throughout the day.
- Consult your doctor and move to a clear liquid diet as advised.
- Take prescribed medication as per the schedule given. It is important!
- You may get diarrhoea, though you are most likely to feel better by the next day itself.
5 Hours Prior:
- Strictly avoid having any kinds of solid foods.
- It would be best to continue to consume all routine medication for existing challenges but only after getting permission from the doctor conducting the Colonoscopy.
2 Hours Prior:
Stop having any food, snack, liquids, or even gum.
Is the Procedure Painful?
The process, like any other medical procedure, isn’t simple or easy. But more importantly, it helps remind us that this is an intelligent step you need to take care of your health. Good preparation, as suggested above, is critical for your Colonoscopy to go through swiftly. A good result means you are good to go for a decade before thinking of getting another procedure done!
When can you Resume Work after the Colonoscopy?
You will be surprised to know that you can resume regular work within 24 hours of getting your Colonoscopy done, given the preparation you will be going through. However, we suggest taking clearances from your doctor.
Cost of Colonoscopy in India
The cost of getting Colonoscopy done in India ranges from ₹ 2,600 to ₹12,000 in private hospitals & clinics, while the government sector charges are between 350 to 850 INR.
It is about following instructions as given by your doctor. Vitality’s Laser Piles Clinic is a chain of specialty clinics in Hyderabad dedicated to the Laser treatment of Piles, Fissures, Fistula, Pilonidal sinus, and Rectal Prolapse. Our dedicated team of doctors, advanced laser surgery equipment, and economic costs make us the most sought out clinic for colon-related medical conditions. You can write to us at email@example.com or call us on 910 850 3674